Monday, May 23, 2011

LA Galaxy Fans Q&A Number Nine. FREDY MONGE.

Next up is my Galaxy going buddy Fredy. Our paths first crossed in San Jose last season when Fredy and his friends booked into the same hotel as me and Mark and were immediately impressed by our drinking prowess. Drinking and supporting the Galaxy is all we need in common to be friends with Fredy and his crew, that's the beauty of following the G's, you meet a hell of a lot of nice people.




Q1. How did you first get into the Galaxy and what was the first game you attended?
I got into the Galaxy after the 1994 World Cup. My dad, uncles and friends used to go to a lot of international friendly game when they were in town. I wasn’t such a big fan of dodging cups full of piss (Urine not booze) at the coliseum when Mexico played El Salvador or Guatemala but I loved hanging out watching football with the family. Some of the best Galaxy games were the ones where Dexter’s dad hooked it up with free suite tickets at the Rose Bowl. We were too young to drink their free booze but it was still fun.


Q2. Name your favourite five Galaxy players of all time?
Cienfuegos
Donovan
Buddle
Ruiz
Jones



Q3. What is your normal preparation/routine when attending a Galaxy game?
I usually half ass my day and leave everything I have to do until last minute, consequently making me late to pick Dexter up on the way to HDC. Pick up some beer at the Ralphs by the HDC and head over to see all the great friends we’ve made.


Q4. Do you follow any other footy teams?
Not really. I enjoy following leagues. I can’t say that I’ve grown up following one team.


Q5. Name five footy teams that you hate the most?
No one specifically to hate on.


Q6. Describe the best Galaxy performance you attended?
In Seattle May, 2010. Galaxy whooped the Sounders in front of their massive, sold-out crowd. Traveling games are all amazing, especially when won.



Q7. Describe the worst?
RSL 2011. Great trip, great snow, great people, worst Galaxy performance.


Q8. Has the Beckham signing been better for Beckham, the Galaxy or the MLS?
I think it has been good all around. Games sell out in places you wouldn’t think they’d sell out. The Galaxy played in Australia because of him so it got some global exposure. Beckham also attracts “talent” to the games (aka hot chicks that wouldn’t otherwise come to a match).



Q9. Do you follow any other sports and if so, what teams?
I don’t follow any other team like I do the Galaxy. I like going to baseball games and root for the Dodgers and Angels. Going to Spring training in Arizona is always a good time. LA Kings all the way!


Q10. Do you play footy, what position and are you any good?
I haven’t played in a looooooong time! Stuck to school first and foremost because I wasn’t good. I loved playing and played in the high school team but c’mon, I knew I didn’t have a future in footy so it was always secondary to school.


Q11. What's with the rivalry between Galaxy supporters groups?
Who knows? Same as any other group organization trying to best the other I guess. Everyone is pretty cool in all the supporter groups.


Q12. Have you ever been involved in any aggro at the match? Galaxy or otherwise?
If I have I don’t remember. It wasn’t me. I once took out some bushes in San Jose, does that count?





Q13. How do you think the MLS compares with other leagues around the world?
Who cares! It’s ours to enjoy! People spend too much time comparing apples to oranges. Shut up and support your team.



Q14. Club before country?
Club


Q15. Almost every Galaxy fan I speak to wishes that Chivas USA were gone from the HDC, where would you like to see them end up?

Las Vegas, NV. San Diego, CA. Tempe, AZ. Send them to Arizona! That would be an awesome road trip. Tempe would be a better trip than Vegas or San Diego.


Q16. Favourite away stadium? (MLS or otherwise)
There are so many to discover still. So far the Sounders stadium was a pretty fun one.

Q17. Least favourite away stadium? (MLS or otherwise)
San Jose sucks.



Q18. Finally, how do you see the season ending for the LA Galaxy this year?
This is a tough one. I do not like the results so far. I hope the team grows to play better as we go. They better keep in mind the cup will be played at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment