Tuesday, April 3, 2012

TWP @ The Mill, Culver City, CA.

Monday March 12th 2012.

This was supposed to be a small "invitation only" secret and intimate gig. I asked DLG if I could invite a small group of friends, he said "Yes" and apparently others had the same idea as close to a hundred people showed up.
The Mill is not yet another new L.A. music venue, but a rather swanky Media/Entertainment production office. It was decorated in that posh minimalist style, you know the one where people pay a small fortune to make it look like the place isn't close to being finished. I'm not pointing that out as a criticism, as it really was lovely, I guess one could refer to it as shabby urban chic.
Anyway, the performance area was set up across the room from a bunch of office cubicles just in front of the main entrance. We got there about 30 minutes before the show and our charming host Phil Crowe graciously directed us to the free hotdog cart and then the free open bar.
RESULT!!!!!!


Me upon hearing about the free hotdogs and beer at The Mill by Catherine Wygal

I had a few friends in attendance, Paul and Dolly, Catherine and Don, Lori and Ed, Carrie McNinch, Karl from work, plus my very good mate Mark and my 9 year old son Owen who came along for his first ever gig.
To kill time we indulged in a hotdog and took advantage of the free bar while Owen charmed the attractive young ladies of the office with his mohawk. One asked him if he was a big fan of The Wedding Present. "Yeah, I guess" he said, before adding "I let them keep their guitars in my bedroom"
The girls were besotted, and I must admit that I was as proud as Punch.



Owen and his mohawk.


The band came out and sheepish looking DLG explained how this was the final rehearsal before the band set off for SXSW, and how they normally would do this in front of a handful of friends and he hoped that everyone would enjoy the show and forgive the bands rustiness.



DLG at The Mill by Catherine Wygal


He really shouldn't have fretted, the gig was fine.
The set consisted of songs from The Wedding Present's new album Valentina and the whole of Seamonsters aka "The greatest album ever made" TM.
The new songs sounded great live, I had been listening to an advance copy for a week and loved it, but there is no real substitute for live (and loud) music. A few people did leave work for home during the performance, it was an office after all. This left me feeling a bit bemused, "Are these people crazy?" I thought.
"This is the first time Seamonsters has ever been performed in it's entirety in the USA and these people are rushing off to catch their bus. Indie music history is clearly being made and little Brad and Britney are going home to their microwaved vegan meatloaf and organic mac and cheese or whatever it is these fuckers eat"
Oh well, more beer for me I suppose.



The Wedding Present play The Mill by Catherine Wygal


The performance was top notch apart from one or two minor hiccups including the "semi legendary" Mr. Gedge forgetting the final verse to Octopussy.
We stayed and chatted with our friends and the band for a short while, but had to leave quite sharpish as it was a school night for Owen, we finally got him home by 10.45 which is quite rock and roll for a 9 year old.
He had a blast (as did Mark and me) and requested that I photocopied his signed setlist so he could have a copy at his (mom's) house and mine.



Owen's signed setlist

No comments:

Post a Comment