Saturday, June 20, 2009

Casual as Fuck 1997/1998







After our first two seasons I decided to take a year off, we did try to get a team together but a lot of players were flaky so I sacked it before we got off and running, plus the Crown and Anchor went back on their word to sponsor us, so I couldn't be arsed with it.
Plus Liam had just been born and I wanted a bit of time off so I could have my Sundays free and do the family bit.
Anyway I assembled a team for the 1997/1998 season, it was tough but we eventually got it together fusing "veteran" Casuals with new additions such as Cliff May, Mike Jeworski, Graeme Allan, Dan Metcalfe, Scott Porter and two female players Brandi Kaake and Heather Rolland.
I really didn't expect us to win anything, but given the quality we had should have known better as we went unbeaten again winning the league and cup double.
One of the highlights was showing up at Ventura to play our closest rivals and they were laughing because we had two girls in our squad, Heather single handedly wiped the smiles off their faces when she scored a cracker by lobbing the keeper from a good 40 yards out.
She also went on to score in the Cup final against Ojai as we went on to win 2-1.
We even had Rod Stewart come out and play for us in a friendly, he really wanted to sign up, but as he was out of town so often on "business" I had to decline.
But for one afternoon I can claim that I was his manager.

CSC76 Celtics (Home) Won: 2-0
Crusaders (Home) Won: 8-0
BOBO's (Away/Cup) Won: 7-1
Ventura II (Away) Won: 1-0
Ojai Condors (Away) Won: 4-1
Amgen (Home) Won: 5-3
CSC76 Challengers (Away) Won: 1-0
CSC76 Celtics (Home/Cup) Won: 4-1
Oak Park Utd (Away) Won: 6-0
Ojai Condors (Home) Won: 4-1
CSC76 Challengers (Away/Cup) Won: 3-2
CSC76 Celtics (Away) Drew: 2-2
Oak Park Utd (Home) Won: 5-1
Ventura II (Away) Won: 11-0
Ventura SC (Away) Won: 2-0
Ventura II (Cup semi final) Drew 1-1. Won 3-1 on pk's
Amgen (Away) Won: 4-1
Ojai Condors (Cup Final) Won : 2-1
Ventura SC (Home) Won: 6-0
CSC76 Challengers (Home) Won: 1-0

No comments:

Post a Comment