Friday, June 19, 2009

Extra, Extra....


Living out here in California and not far from Hollywood it was inevitable that I would try my hand acting at some point.
Some people would point out this would be a natural thing for me to do as I've been acting like a twat for years.
My first attempt was about 10 years ago when I filmed a Foster's Lager Ad down at Universal Studios. You know the campaign, it's the one where they'd act something out and say "Foster's Lager, Australian for......(Insert appropriate adjective)" The one I worked on was pretty lame and consisted of a bunch of us dressed up in Aussie Rules Football uniforms surrounding a locker in the changing room and pounding on the door. The premise was we had locked the referee in there and the voice over said "Foster's Lager, Australian for sin bin" I told you it was lame, I saw it aired once at 2am during a bout of insomnia on ESPN2 and have since searched for it on YouTube, but with no luck. If it's not on YouTube, it's pretty much guaranteed that it doesn't exist.
Last year ex-Casual player and soccer expert to Hollywood Dan Metcalfe roped myself, Steve Holland and Paul Nicholl into appearing as extras in Green Street 2, the sequel to the hooligan film starring Frodo from Lord of the Rings. The original film revolved around Elijah Wood's Matt Buckner character, an Ivy League journalism student who is expelled and finds himself visiting his sister in London only to get involved with West Ham United's firm. In other words, complete bollocks.
Anyway the sequel sees the mob in prison and hilarity soon follows.
The major flaws in the sequel is that the script was utter shite, the film while set in a British prison (HMP Tankersley) is clearly filmed in Southern California. The dead give aways to this were the blazing sun during all scenes, the high influx of Mexican inmates and the baseball diamond on the prison athletics field. All the accents were dodgy as fuck, but that's another story.
The premise is that all these football firms are locked away in HMP Tankersley and the Governor has a brainstorm, how about he arranges a football tournament between them all and the winner will be released no questions asked?
I've seen better writing on Scooby Doo episodes to be honest, this possible might be the worst film ever made.
There was nobody from the original film in the sequel excepts for Jennifer Love Hewitt's bit of stuff and the most famous thespians featured were a bloke who was in Die Hard 2 and Deanna Troi from Star Trek the Next Generation, needless to say I was completely underwhelmed.
My mum has seen the film and she wasn't impressed.

"There's too much swearing" she protested
"I did warn you"
"Well it was really rubbish as well, I just fast forwarded to the bits with you in it and then turned it off"
"Yeah mam, that's pretty much what I did as well"

Our scenes were basically just playing football, we played in red and we were supposed to be Spurs.
WTF???
Spurs??
Really??
Playing in red????
Of course the famous team from London featured 2 Mancs, a Geordie, a Yank, an Italian and an Israeli stuntman, pretty much like the real thing then.
So for two days we played footy in a dust bowl, I got to perform a stunt fight complete with headbutt and getting my arse beaten by four burly prison guards, a bit like a night out in the Crown and Anchor really.


This week I was an extra on an upcoming new show called Dark Blue starring Dylan McDermott. Once again I was cast as a prison inmate, the casting agency claimed my character was a white supremacist, but I think my character was clearly a Man City fan. The make up department made me wear three fake tattoo's for my onscreen appearance, they were "SWP" (Shaun Wright Phillips?), "WHITE" (ex-City winger David White) and "POWER" (ex-City skipper Paul Power?). Anyway that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it, in the meantime I need to have some serious words with my agent.

No comments:

Post a Comment