Friday, April 15, 2011

LA Galaxy Fans Q&A Number Five. RODNEY LA ROCQUE

Next up is Galaxian, ACB and HDC legend Rodney La Rocque.
His love for the L.A. Galaxy is only matched by his hatred of the Chivas USA or "Shitvas" as he is known to refer to them.
Top bloke who showed up at Oscars Bar in Sandy UT with 20 or so pairs of gloves for the traveling G's fans who might have needed then for the game that night. Trust me, they were needed and the gesture was much appreciated by the visiting Los Angelinos.





Q1.How did you first get into the Galaxy and what was the first game you attended?
I have all ways liked watching football and I started going to Galaxy matches in May 1997 just shortly into their second season and attended matches off and on by myself at the Rose Bowl through the 1998 season. At the beginning of 1999 season I bought my first season ticket and have missed about five home matches since then. .



Q2. Name your favorite five Galaxy players of all time?
Cobi Jones
Mauricio Cienfuegos
Kevin Hartman
Carlos Ruiz
Landon Donovan



Q3. What is your normal preparation/routine when attending a Galaxy game?
Starting during the week before a match, I start thinking about what to bring to the picnic (tailgate) and a couple days before the match I gather the food and begin preparing it. When I smoke meat I light the smoker about 5:00 a.m. on the day of the match and smoke it for eight (8) to ten (10) hours. In the event of a Galaxy loss the picnic is the most important part of the match to me, with a win I enjoy being with my fellow Galaxy friends.


Q4. Do you follow any other footy teams?
West Ham United and Chelsea


Q5. Name five footy teams that you hate the most?
Chivas USA , San Jose Earthquakes, Real Salt Lake , Seattle Sounders, and because I HATE them so much- Chivas USA gets named twice.



Q6. Describe the best Galaxy performance you attended?
After attending MLS Cup matches in 1999, 2000, and 2001; on 13 October 2002 in the Foxboro, MA MLS Cup match when Carlos Ruiz scored the match winning goal I was the happiest football fan there could be.



Q7. Describe the worst?
In 2003 the semi-final match for the Western Division Championship at the Galaxy v San Jose match the away leg the Galaxy had a three aggregate goal lead and heading for the Division Championship until the Earthquakes scored four goals and won- Darn it.


Q8. Has the Beckham signing been better for Beckham, the Galaxy or the MLS?
Having a player the world class caliber of David Beckham signing with the Galaxy has been great for the entire league as a whole.



Q9. Do you follow any other sports and if so, what teams?
I only follow football, however once in a year for the past thirty-nine years I have been involved with the Long Beach- Catalina Water Ski Race assisting my family with race communications.


Q10. Do you play footy, what position and are you any good?
Football wasn’t widely played when I went to school in the 1970’s so I have never played in an organized match; I have played in a few pick-up matches with friends.



Q11. What's with the rivalry between Galaxy supporters groups?
Being one of the original six founders of the Angel City Brigade I do not really believe there is any true rivalry between the supporter groups. I do however believe there is some animosity in between our group and the other group in the far corner because of our enormous fast growth and media attention. However, this animosity comes in the form of copying our support of the Galaxy with drumming, throwing confetti and streamers which benefits the support of the team.



Q12. Have you ever been involved in any aggro at the match? Galaxy or otherwise?
No, I have had occasions where Chivas USA fans appeared to want to start something but I ignored them and they went away.
One time in Kansas City this intoxicated fan didn’t appreciate my names for his team and wanted to start something, but I ignored him and he went away.



Q13. How do you think the MLS compares with other leagues around the world?
Being English and other world-wide football has been around for over one hundred years and MLS is in its infancy at a mere fifteen years I would say MLS compares very well. I have attended matches in Europe, Mexico , Central and South America as well as Australia and I would say MLS matches compare pretty well to those world-wide matches.




Q14. Club before country?
I bleed Red, White and Blue for the USMNT first, then Blue, White, and Gold for my Galaxy second.


Q15. Almost every Galaxy fan I speak to wishes that Chivas USA were gone from the HDC, where would you like to see them end up?

I am one of the people that would like to see them go as well. In speaking with several Hispanic people in our area I believe Chivas would be better supported in the San Diego area; therefore I would like to see them move to the San Diego area.



Q16. Favourite away stadium? (MLS or otherwise)
Being a fan of football, I would have to say my favorite stadium to attend a match is Azteca Stadium in Mexico City . Words are hard to describe the passionate fans in Mexico for football.



Q17. Least favourite away stadium? (MLS or otherwise)
Santa Clara College Stadium “Home of the Earthquakes”


Q18. If you could change anything about the Galaxy organization what would it/they be?
Be more truthful to the fans when it comes to injuries of the players including type of injury and anticipated length of recovery. Also be more truthful to fans when it comes to delivery of promised season ticket holder items.



Q19. What changes would you make to the MLS?
Have better television coverage of the matches including real time coverage and no time delay showings. Eliminate or greatly raise the salary cap to keep US players playing on US soil in lieu of going to Europe for better pay.



Q20. What's the most embarrassing thing that has happened to you at the match?
I was celebrating my birthday in 2003 at the HDC with my Galaxian friends and became grossly intoxicated to the point where I had to take a cab from the gate to the parking lot because I couldn’t stand up (a fellow Galaxian drove me and my truck to my motel near the HDC).



Q21. Funniest thing you have seen at the match?
I was attending a Chicago Fire match in 2004 and yelling “Piss on the Fire” and “ Chicago sucks;” their mascot brought over a bar of soap and said “This is for your mouth.”



Q22. Finally, how do you see the season ending for the LA Galaxy this year?

As always I hope we win the Champion’s League, Open Cup, Supporter Shield, and MLS Cup; I will show my support of my team on their quest for those championships.



Good work Rodney, nice answers, although I must admit that I was a bit "upset" that you didn't refer to our lodgers as the Shitvas.
Oh well, just for you mate....... CHINGA SHITVAS!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment