Thursday, April 21, 2011

Los Angeles Galaxy Fans Q&A Number Eight. ME aka ANDY GILLESPIE

I have a few Q&A's out there in e-mail-land but so far I am still waiting for responses. In the meantime, I think I'll have a crack at it myself, so here goes.......




Q1. How did you first get into the Galaxy and what was the first game you attended?
Pretty much like a lot of Galaxy fans did, they started up the MLS and we were granted a team called the Galaxy. I went to the first game, it was pretty mental off the field with all the 1000's of extra fans that showed up. The football wasn't so great and I gave up after a few seasons, but now I'm back with a vengeance and I'm Galaxy till I die...


Q2. Name your favourite five Galaxy players of all time?
Mauricio Cienfuegos - Still my all time favourite G's player, what I'd give to have him in his prime in the current squad.
Kevin Hartman - One of the best MLS keepers of all time for me. Could and probably should have moved to Europe years ago and made a name for himself, not to mention a lot more money.
Cobi Jones - Longest serving G ever, breaks my heart that he's now with the NY Cosmos and they're not even a proper team.
Landon Donovan - Mr Consistant and has carried this team single handedly unlike a certain Mr Beckham.
Edson Buddle - Had a couple of great years and a couple of crap years with us. I wanted him gone after his lack of performance in the MLS Cup Final, but he came back the next year and proved his critics wrong. It was close between him and Hurtado, but I went for Buddle as he was an idol to my kids as well.


Q3. What is your normal preparation/routine when attending a Galaxy game?
Load up the ice cooler with Bitburger.
Get the kids ready, pick out which Galaxy shirt and trainers to wear.
Mark picks us up, we pick up Alex, get food from Carls Jr, meet up with the Galaxians, drink until kick off and then scream, jump around and clap on the Galaxy for 90 minutes.





Q4. Do you follow any other footy teams?
First and foremost Manchester City, God's own team.


Q5. Name five footy teams that you hate the most?
In England: Man U*****d, L**ds U****d, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs.
Rest of the World: San Jose Earthquakes, RSL, Chivas, Seattle Flounders, Real Madrid.


Q6. Describe the best Galaxy performance you attended?
My memory is a bit shit, so I'll say most recently, it would be beating Seattle Sounders last year on July 4th. Kellie and the kids were with us and they loved it as well, a great day all round.
Plus any other time we beat the Flounders and any time we beat Chivas, which thankfully is quite often on both scores.


Q7. Describe the worst?
RSL the other week instantly springs to mind, it was awful. Losing to those fuckers in the MLS Cup Final was shit as well.


Q8. Has the Beckham signing been better for Beckham, the Galaxy or the MLS?
A bit of all three really. I have defended his behaviour a few times, but he fucked the Galaxy and our fans over once too often, the sooner he is gone the better.





Q9. Do you follow any other sports and if so, what teams?
No, there really is no other sport for me.
I do actually want all other L.A. teams to do well as a local, but I really don't give a toss either when they lose.


Q10. Do you play footy, what position and are you any good?
I was quite decent in my youth, played on the wing and also right back. Used to be quite fast and could knock a great cross in. I was also known for being deadly with a slide tackle and when I first came to the USA as youngster, much older players genuinely feared me.
I was also known to have scored a few screamers in my time, which I am quite proud of and once scored two goals from the halfway line in a minute. I banged one in and took abuse off the opposition saying it was a fluke. Then they fucked up the kick off so I ploughed into them and banged the ball into the top corner, they were shell shocked.
Now I don't really play that much anymore, I just tend to stand/jog about but can still knock a great cross in and have a decent shot, a bit like Beckham only older, fatter and a lot sexier.


Q11. What's with the rivalry between Galaxy supporters groups?
I don't get it, we're all Galaxy fans. I just mainly hear rumblings from knobs from each supporters groups bitching about each other and who has the best supporters group, laughable really.




Q12. Have you ever seen or been involved in any aggro at the match? Galaxy or otherwise?
Many, many times.
Been beaten, beaten people and seen tons of stuff go down.
I used to revel in it and think it was cool as fuck. Now I look back and realise it was all pretty pointless and a bit sad really.


Q13. How do you think the MLS compares with other leagues around the world?
We shouldn't really worry about that sort of stuff, we have our own market and our own unique fans to cater to. The league is getting better each year though.
I remember Eric Wynalda bragging when the league first started that within 10 years the MLS would compete with the best leagues around the world. He was way wide of the mark, but I'd be shocked if we can't reach that within the next 20 years.

Q14. Club before country?
Always been club for me, don't really care that much for the England national team, I'd watch City or the Galaxy over them any day of the week.


Q15. Almost every Galaxy fan I speak to wishes that Chivas USA were gone from the HDC, where would you like to see them end up?

Vegas or San Diego would make for a great away trip.



Q16. Favourite away stadium? (MLS or otherwise)
Seattle was awesome, but I don't count it because it's a NFL stadium. I was very impressed with Rio Tinto and in the EPL I always enjoyed visiting Anfield with City.





Q17. Least favourite away stadium? (MLS or otherwise)
San Jose is a joke. In the EPL I'd have to say Old Trafford. Nice enough stadium, but heavily populated by cunts.


Q18. If you could change anything about the Galaxy organisation what would it/they be?
Get rid of Beckham.
Have designated away end/section.
Hang the DJ, the music at home games is seriously shit. I don't need to hear the Black Eyed fucking Peas ever again.
Get some half time entertainment other than 46 AYSO kids chasing a ball around for 10 minutes.
Cheaper concessions and more choices





Q19. What changes would you make to the MLS?
Not a fan of play offs, I know it's an American thing, but they could get rid of them and I'd be happy.
Sort out the situation with major international tournaments clashing with our season, you can't exactly move the World Cup so we should have an extended break during it.
Have weekends off for WC qualifiers and friendlies, we always lose Donovan, it's a joke.


Q20. What's the most embarrassing thing that has happened to you at the match?
One year at Watford, I hitch hiked down there as I was on the dole and broke, paid into the cheapest part of the ground and was instantly rumbled by a steward who shouted at me from the bottom of the stand "Oi, you're a Man City fan, you're not supposed to be in there"
"Fuck me" I thought, "how did he know?" Then I looked around to see that everyone stood around me only came up to my chest and I had paid to get into the kids stand for under twelves. Even eight year old girls were pointing and laughing at me.


Q21. Funniest thing you has seen at the match?
Probably when we thought our mate Colin Wilson had been stabbed at Blackburn away with City after we saw it kick off in their end and him being carried away, doubled up on a stretcher. Turned out he just had an extreme case of the shits from a bad curry the night before.
There's a blog about it somewhere on here.



Q22. Finally, how do you see the season ending for the LA Galaxy this year?
We obviously haven't started off too good this year, but I think we'll turn it around. Every season there is a team that gets "hot" just before the end of the season, rolls into the play offs and destroys all before them. I'm hoping we're going to be that team this year. It's only a matter of time before our forwards, especially Angel click and start banging the goals in for fun.



Great answers, thanks Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment